Golden Frontiers Citrus (GFC)
- ABET Training – We want to give the community an opportunity of an educational course for those who were not able to finish school when they were younger. Adult basic education and training (ABET) is the general conceptual foundation towards life long learning and development.
- Development of Senior Mechanical Maintenance Workers – Technical Mechanical Training to uplift senior technical personnel to contribute to production activities on farm, and to benefit even more by helping in their community to fix vehicles and farm equipment and earn some money through these activities.
- Development of Mechanical Maintenance Workers – Development of Mechanical Maintenance Workers – the overall increase in demand of properly qualified technical workers in the mechanical field highlighted the necessity to help develop people that already started their careers in this field. The workers themselves asked for an opportunity to do their trade tests and become qualified mechanics. The scope of their work will also subsequently be broadened by this training.
- Arts & Crafts Development for Women – Helping unemployed women to become self-sufficient. The aim is for the women to sell their products to various guesthouses and shops. We hope to transfer skills and at the same time give these women the means to support themselves.
- DSTV Subscription at Whisky/Mashabanini/Hectorspruit – DSTV on four farms to broaden the community’s vision in issues in the world and have short channels available.
- Community & Recycling Centre – We managed to secure an old building from the farm that can now be renovated to become the permanent location of the community centre and provide space for our future plan to start a recycling centre. There will no longer be the need to pack up when the training room needs to be used for other purposes.
- Kitchen Project – This project will aim to involve 15-20 senior/unemployed men and women in a gourmet cooking skills training programme in making jams that they can sell. the project will also lay the basis for future training in catering in order to stand a better chance in securing small business opportunities.
- Hectorspruit Women’s Project – We are going to try to teach this particular group of women extra skills on heavy duty machines where they will learn to make the harvesting bags for the farms. This will be a wonderful way to learn business skills and become self-sufficient. This is apart from the normal skills that they are acquiring on the machines.
- Nursery Project – This is an environmental project for some of the 10-15 elderly people sitting at home. This is to instill pride and commitment and promote participation in the community who would normally become despondent and depressed. This will help them to become self-sufficient. This project will concentrate on endangered trees, indigenous and multi trees, in order to replenish them in the veld and replant them in the local area. Selling the trees at the Kruger National Park gate.
- Soccer GFC Bantams – A group of 15 young children that are being trained in the skills of soccer at GFC. We are trying to instill pride and the knowledge of the game as well as giving the children a sense of self-worth. this will also keep them off the streets.
- Karate Project – Karate classes for the 10-15 children who have a different interest and are too old to join the existing children’s projects. The project will teach them karate skills as well as life skills such as discipline and self-control. The project will also offer a constructive alternative for the youth.
- Music Project – Music classes for the 8-10 children who are too old to join the development classes and too young to be added to the adult projects. This will teach them discipline and control and more importantly will keep them off the streets. Some of these children have incredible untapped talent for music – the project will develop this.
- Scrap Metal Recycling for Men (Hectorspruit) – The project will teach 10 men in welding skills, which includes tools/machinery management as well as safety regulations. These men will be able to repair farm equipment and implement that are broken. They should be able to follow the example of the group on Vergenoeg Farm who has completed phase 1 and are able to manufacture furniture pieces that save them money and have the potential to generate additional income. This experience can only open new job opportunities – especially for the seasonal workers.
- Scrap Metal Recycling for Men (Vergenoeg) – These men will be able to repair equipment and farm equipment and implements that are broken. They have completed phase 1 and are able to manufacture furniture pieces that save them money and have the potential to generate additional income. This experience can also open new job or promotion opportunities – especially for the seasonal workers.
- Children Arts & Crafts – Ten children to be enrolled in arts and crafts and social development classes. One-to-one teaching and enable us to pick up problems and help with development.
- Community Centre Equipment (Hectorspruit) – DSTV on farms provides entertainment for workers and creates opportunities to increase knowledge about world affairs. the air-conditioning unit will ensure that this facility is enjoyed despite high temperatures. The administration of the different groups is increasing and requires a cupboard to store necessary files, stationery, etc.
Golden Frontiers Citrus (GFC)
- Training Centre Upgrades – Upgrade existing building into a training centre. Workers on farm can undergo training on the farm. Up to now the workers have had to be transported to Malelane TSB Training Centre. The funds will be used to repair/upgrade the room, install ceilings, electrical works, paint and air-conditioning.
- Vergenoeg Soccer Field – Vergenoeg workers village has no soccer field. Workers compete every year against each other for the TSB trophy. GFC management made a piece of land available for a soccer field and supplied equipment to level the area into a soccer field. Workers collected scrap material and erected goal poles. Funds are needed to buy nets, install irrigation and plant lawn.
- Whisky Community Hall Upgrade – Whisky village has no place were the workers can relax after hours and watch TV. Living quarters are vacant and one has been altered to furnish into a community hall. A TV set will be installed which will enable the workers to watch TV in their spare time. The hall will also be used for church services, which is currently not available.
- Workers Living Quarters Ceiling Fans – Supply and installation of ceiling fans in workers rooms. The living quarters on all GFC farms have no ceiling fans. In summer it becomes very hot in this area and the workers requested ceiling fans in their bedrooms.
- Vergenoeg community hall upgrade – Vergenoeg village has no place were the workers can relax after hours and watch TV. A vacant space will be converted into a community hall. A TV will be installed which will enable workers to watch TV in their spare time. The hall will also be used for church services as there is currently no room available to hold church services. The brickwork has already been done, only paint has to be purchased.
- Vegetable Project – The main aim of the project is to generate an income with the vegetable project, to distribute between the 242 permanent workers of Golden Frontier Citrus farm.
- Soccer Clothes for Team – Clothes for soccer team members for the 3 farms. The overall appearance will build team spirit.
- Upgrading of Training and Community Centre – Replacement of two television sets and installation of ceiling in community hall.
- T- shirt for ABET Graduates – T-shirts for the ABET graduates for the prize ceremony.
- Boots for Soccer Team – Require boots for the soccer team.
- Community Centre Equipment (Vergenoeg) – DSTV on farms provides entertainment for workers and creates opportunities to increase knowledge about world affairs. The air-conditioning unit will ensure that this facility is enjoyed despite high temperatures. The administration of the different groups is increasing and requires a cupboard to store necessary files, stationery, etc.