Rooipad Farming – Northern Cape – Grapes
- Purification of water – Project objective: Access to clean drinking water. The farm purchased and installed a water purification system, 448 farm workers will benefit from this project.
Oranjedal Sewing Project- Funding of the required equipment and resources, material as well as training for the women. This project will develop 17 women’s sewing and entrepreneurial skills will be developed.
Upgrade of Oranjedal Communal Recreational square- An improved recreational facility for workers will provide a venue for planned social activities in an attemp to prevent substance abuse. The facility will benefit 274 workers when educational programmes will be implemented to address substance abuse and provide constructive leisure time.
After School centre- The objective is to a safe place for school children to complete their homework under the necessary supervision.The aftercare centre is operational after the extention of the building has been completed, the registration of the facility with the Department of Social Development Northern Cape is in progress . The Northern Cape Department of Social Development offers an additional financial (Expanded Public Works Programme stipend), to registered facilities .
- Kromhout Women’s club- The objective of the project is to develop the sewing skills of women’s and therefore create entrepreneurship opportunities. The profit will be used to sustain the current projects as well as 50% gain sharing principle for members. This project is a integral part of the social development plan of the farm.
- Roepersfontein Community Hall- Funds will be used to provide effective and safe storage space for kitchen utensils and equipment. To ensure sustainability the usage and hiring of the equipment will be monitored .
- Karsten Computer Literacy Project – The project aim is to improve the computer skills of at least 60% of Grades 7-9 children and adults in the community. A trainer was appointed to facilitate the training.
- Raap en Skraap/ Mosplaas Soccer Kits – The funding was used to equip 3 teams of 42 members with soccer attire and subsequently instill a sense of pride in players and spectators alike.
- Project Facilitator – Ensure effective and functional worker committee’s on each farm, support worker committee’s with the implementation and monitoring of identified projects.
- After School Centre- The aftercare centre is registered with the Northern Cape Department of Social Development and the subsidy is used to provide children with daily meals. The educational equipment required to support the academic performance of the children and the implementation of sport activities will enhance the effeciency of the Educational Programme recommended by the Department of Social Development. The funds requested was used for the procurement of equipment and implementation of sports activities and school holiday programmes.
- Capespan Farms compost and Recycling Project- Funding obtained from The Waitrose Foundation provided the start-up capital for the operational plan on the Valam Farm. The plan is to produce compost from recycled table grapes packing material. This will address the lack of job opportunities in the Northern Cape outside of the table grape production season.
- Water Purification and Recycling Project- The objective is to provide filtered drinking water to all permanent and migrant workers and to recycle water and therefore prevent waste. 30% of infrastructure materials required to install water purification and recycling system on each of the 8 Capespan Northern Cape was funded by The Waitrose Foundation, the balance and labour by Capespan.
Crystal View Vineyard
- Crèche and After School Care facility – The objective is to, in collaboration with Rooipad Boerdery , build an after school care facility in Onseepkans, to provide Early Childhood Development and After School Care educational services to children.
- Sewing – Blouputs – To provide needlework training for female farm workers as a new skill which can contribute to their income and create opportunity for them to share their skills with others in the community, namely children and other interested women.
- Computer Literacy Training for Children – Klein Pella – To improve the computer skills and knowledge of children. To gain more self-confidence.
- Serving Counter – Raap en Skraap – To create a space where food can be served and catering equipment can be stored. To provide a storage facility that can simultaneously used as a serving counter. To build a storage place with a top which will be used as the serving counter.
- Community Hall – Blouputs – Adjusting and improving and existing community hall that will benefit the farm by leasing the hall for hosting a variety of events and meetings.
- Equipment Community Hall – Raap en Skraap – Equip the community hall with 15 tables. This will increase the number of people to accommodate at a given time when functions are held.
- Sport Equipment – Klein Pella – Purchasing of sport clothes and balls for soccer and netball teams.
- Sport Equipment – Raap en Skraap – Purchasing of sport clothes and balls for soccer and netball teams.
- Upgrading Community Hall – Kromhout – The project will enhance the social network of the farm community. The farming community will benefit by leasing the hall and hosting a variety of functions and meetings.
- Upgrading Community Hall – Roepersfontein – A project where farm workers start a social network and a great farm community. To upgrade the community hall the farm will benefit by leasing the hall and hosting a variety of functions and meetings.
- Upgrading of Crèche – Koekoep – Upgrading the existing crèche to comply with the requirements for registration with the Department of Social Development. Children will be taken care of in a safe environment followed by a structured educational programme supported with the educational equipment.
- Upgrading Computer Centre – Shelanu – The improvement of the computer centre to the benefit of the children. Equip computer centre with curtains, tables, workstations for computers and installing ceilings to the facility. The changes will create enough space between computers allowing learners for usage of computer work comfortably and expanding the current scope of training too. In addition to the installation of the ceiling, the fitting of the curtains will contribute to the protection from direct sunlight, dust and temperature.
- Community Hall Equipment – Shelanu – The project will improve the storage facilities in the community hall and enable workers to hire the venue to do catering to generate an extra income.
- Air conditioner for Computer Centre – Koekoeb – The project aims to equip the computer centre with air-conditioning, which is a necessity in this area. This improvement will improve the learning environment to be conducive where children receives educational learning support for academic growth.
- Improvement of Community Hall – Yarona – The improvement of the hall that serves as a community hall for community and church gatherings. As a training venue for all farms to use for Karsten group activities. Better acoustics and air conditioning will improve utility.
- Soccer Field – Blouputs – Build a soccer field for informal and organised sport in order to make it easier for workers to play and cut transport costs to soccer fields on other farms. To improve quality of life.
- Playground for Children – Klein Pella – To erect a playground for children to keep them occupied. Children will be active instead of watching television or just wandering around. To ensure a safe location for the children in the community.
- Crèche alterations to add community hall – Kromhout – Restoration to the community hall and alterations of existing facilities. A project where farm workers start a facility and manage it for profit by renting it out for functions, and own use for specific social and training needs.
- Welding Skills – Blouputs – The improvement of welding skills with the aim of doing different projects, such as making their services available to the farm for repair work. A project where farm workers use their spare time in a constructive way.
- Community Hall – Koekoeb – The improvement of social and training events for workers. This includes community halls, alterations to existing facilities and pavilions. A project where farm workers start a social network and a great farm community. To build a community hall which will be a benefit by leasing the hall as well as for hosting a variety of functions and meetings.
- Crèche – Roepersfontein – The community decided that this is a priority for the farm more than a community hall at this stage. Giving children the best start in life means giving them good health support programmes, proper nutrition and early learning opportunities.
- Sewing Training – Raap en Skraap – Community members utilise acquired sewing skills to deliver a service in the community and create an income for themselves.
- Crèche – Raap en Skraap – A safe and comfortable centre where children of farm workers are being cared for and stimulated.
- Vegetable Garden – Raap en Skraap – Establish a vegetable garden that will provide produce for the farming community (crèche, shop, guesthouse and households).
- Welding Skills – Raap en Skraap – The improvement of welding skills with the aim of doing different projects. A project where farm workers use their spare time in a constructive way.
- Recreational Hall – Klein Pella – A project where farm workers start a social network and a great farm community. To build a community hall the farm will benefit by leasing the hall and hosting a variety of functions and meetings.
- Soccer Field – Koekoeb – Install goal posts on soccer field.
- Pavillion – Kromhout – To provide seating place for spectators during soccer matches. Buy pre-manufactured pavilion and install at soccer field.
- Pavillion – Roepersfontein – To provide seating place for spectators during soccer matches. Buy pre manufactured pavilion and install at soccer field.
- Community Hall Equipment – Raap en Skraap – Equip the community hall with 15 tables. This will increase the number of people to accommodate at a given time when functions are held.
- ABET Training – The project intends to appoint an ABET service provider to implement ABET Training. This will involve training of 8 (eight) Facilitators and the enrolment of 60 (sixty) workers for ABET training across 5 (five) farms.
- Mobile Clinic – Clinic to provide farms in rural areas with basic medical care.
- ABET Assessment – The project intends to appoint an ABET service provider to do a survey to determine the different levels of ABET intervention for each participant. The outcome will also reflect the total number of interested participants who will then be enrolled for the ABET programme.
- Arendsnes Pre-school & Community Centre – Construction of a 120m² pre-school and community health clinic centre located near pack house on Arendsnes Farm. Facility can accommodate 40 pre-school children. structure includes a 55m² classroom, which can be divided to include a separate area for babies. Two separate toilets, one for children and one for teachers, with two hand wash basins, a nappy changing station with hand wash basin and a separate kitchenette. Two smaller dedicated rooms with a hand wash basin, suitable for basic community health clinic/education services and one toilet and hand washing basin with access entrance to outside area fenced in for children.
- Noudonsies Pre-school & Community Centre – Construction of a 120m² Pre-school and community health clinic centre located near pack house on Noudonsies Farm. Facility can accommodate 40 pre-school children. Structure includes a 55m² classroom, which can be divided to include a separate area for babies. Two separate toilets, one for children and one for teacher’s – with two hand wash basins, a nappy changing station with hand wash basin and a separate kitchenette. Two smaller dedicated rooms with a hand wash basin, suitable for basic community health clinic/education services and one toilet and hand washing basin with access entrance, outside area fenced in for children.
- Primary Healthcare & Community Liaison – Delivery of primary health care, community liaison with workers and worker committee members with the aim of providing support and ensuring effective functioning of worker committees on each of the 8 farms. Appointment of a dedicated nurse on 1 May 2014 on a one year contract basis, but with the intention of a 3 year contract, and equipping of 8 farm community health centres.
- Soccer & Netball – Our football and netball players saw the need for football and netball equipment. The aim of the project is to improve team building and team’s exposure. They will have the opportunity to be part of the development in South African sport. For the less fortunate the opportunity to also be part of a team, improve their lifestyle as well as to improve incentives for better living. Also builds sportsman’s spirit.
- ABET Training – More than 50% of the workers on Zwartbooisberg Farm are not able to write their own name and surname. It is impossible for them to help their children with any school work because most of the parents cannot read or write. ABET offers them the opportunity to train and uplift themselves to become part of a well educated nation.
- Soccer Field Upgrade – Management wants to develop a soccer field for the workers on the farm. The ground is already developed but still required an irrigation system with grass and to equip the players with the right clothes and equipment. Soccer is the most important sport in the Orange river area. It will also give the families something to look forward to over weekends and help them to do positive things instead of indulging in alcohol and neglecting their families and children. Soccer also motivates them to be part of a team and to work together.
- Worker Committee Training – The committee on the farm plays an important role in the community, but only if it is effective. A one-day learning programme can help the committee to structure themselves and to become aware of all their responsibilities.
- Life Skills Development – Zwartbooisberg Farm workers have the need to develop basic life skills to help them cope with daily problems. This project will teach them how to solve and deal with problems in their homes, workplace and social area. For some, skilled qualified staff will deliver the training on the farm and for others Zwartbooisberg will send some of the workers for training at NTI (National Training Institute), to make sure there is always a qualified instructor on the farm to help the workers when necessary.
- Soccer and Netball Tournament – The project aims to encourage and support involvement of farm workers in sporting activities. the two soccer and netball teams of the farm will participate in the annual soccer and netball tournament. The farm has been identified as the host. The planning and organising of this event will add value to the work committee’s skills.